Welcome to the Illinois Health Matters Blog

What health reform means for the people of Illinois

A blog by IllinoisHealthMatters.org

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

On COBRA? New Announcement from HHS Could Save you Thousands of Dollars


In mid-April, I received a call from a 62-year-old woman named Alice who had been laid off from her job quite a while back. She was paying around $650 each month to maintain her COBRA coverage. Turns out she got my number from her brother, Carl, whom I had helped enroll into a Marketplace plan. He, too, was paying a lot of money each month for COBRA coverage after his employer had cut his hours in half, making him ineligible for employer-offered coverage. By enrolling into a subsidized Marketplace plan, Carl saved more than $400 a month in premium costs. He hoped I could also help his sister. Unfortunately, she called me just a few weeks after open enrollment had ended.

Normally, this would mean that she would have to wait until the next open enrollment period or until she exhausted her COBRA coverage before she could qualify for a Special Enrollment Period which would allow her to enroll into a much more affordable Marketplace plan. It seemed she had missed this window of opportunity – that is until HHS announced new Special Enrollment Periods for folks currently enrolled into COBRA coverage.

As I mentioned, normally a consumer has four options regarding COBRA coverage:
  • Decline an initial offer of COBRA coverage
  • Get a Special Enrollment Period and enroll in marketplace coverage
  • Switch from COBRA coverage to marketplace coverage during open enrollment
  • Wait until the exhaustion of COBRA coverage to get an Special Enrollment Period

Well, HHS recognized that folks just like Alice were confused about their options. So they decided to offer COBRA enrollees a Special Enrollment Period. If you or someone you know is on COBRA, he or she can qualify for a Special Enrollment Period to shop for a plan on the Marketplace until July 1 of this year.

Simply call the Marketplace call center at 1-800-318-2596 and tell them you are currently on COBRA and that you would like to explore your options in the Marketplace. Then fill out an application at healthcare.gov to see if you’re eligible for financial help. This could very well save you hundreds of dollars each month in premium costs. You have nothing to lose. I’ve already called Alice.

Jillian Phillipsr
Chicagoland Organizer
Campaign for Better Health Care


For more info on qualifying events:
http://illinoishealthmatters.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Special-Enrollment-Periods-Explained.pdf

3 comments:

  1. I had been read all the article of this blog.Most of articles were contained the information regarding business related segment.All the topics were really useful.
    Web Design Companies | Website Design Companies

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I Got My Ex Husband Back...........

    I am Shannon by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my husband after three(3) years of marriage just because another woman had a spell on him and he left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address Makospelltemple@yahoo.com , have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a woman had a spell on my husband and he told me that he will help me and after 2 days that i will have my husband back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my husband. Thanks for Dr.Mako. His email: Makospelltemple@yahoo.com OR.His WhatsApp Number:+2347054263874.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC(www.ultimatelifeclinic. com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete